Best S'Mores Brownie Recipe! Rich brownies topped with gooey marshmallows & graham cracker crumbs - try these s'more brownie bars for dessert!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy about affiliate links.
We all love a warm, gooey s'more... but this s'mores brownies recipe take it to a whole new level.
Imagine all the things you love about a s'more (melted marshmallows, sweet graham crackers) on top of a rich fudgy brownie.
Talk about the ultimate dessert!
These fun layered brownies are perfect for a weeknight treat, a movie night snack, or to bring to a picnic!
Why we love these Smores Brownies
- Delicious: Some of the best recipes are simple and still taste amazing. Even though this recipe is made with only a few ingredients it’s SO yummy!
- Cheap: With grocery store costs on the rise, this is a delicious, budget friendly dessert!
- No Fire Needed: If you love s'mores but don't want to get involved with a fire - this recipe is for you!
Smores Brownie Recipe Ingredients
- Butter-The butter in this recipe adds flavor and richness to your brownies.
- White Sugar—White sugar is the sweetener of choice in this recipe. Unlike brown sugar, it’s flavor won’t overpower everything else.
- Eggs-Eggs are used as a binding and stabilizing agent in this recipe. If you’re vegan or have an egg allergy, feel free to use your favorite egg substitute instead.
- Vanilla-A dash of vanilla helps to deepen the chocolate flavor of your brownies. Mexican vanilla is my favorite, but even imitation vanilla will work.
- Cocoa powder-Unsweetened cocoa powder is the way to go in this recipe.
- All-purpose flour-Since there is a lot of flour in this dessert, I recommend sticking with all-purpose, as it will likely bake up the best.
- Salt-Adding just a dash of salt to your brownies actually helps to enhance the overall sweetness of your dessert.
- Baking powder-Putting baking powder in your s’mores brownie batter will ensure that your brownies will bake evenly.
- Mini marshmallows-I think miniature marshmallows are the best to use in this recipe because they toast quickly and add a nice texture to your brownies; however, regular sized marshmallows or even marshmallow fluff can be used instead.
- Graham Crackers-Coarsely crushed graham cracker crumbs add the perfect finishing touch to these s’mores brownies.
How to make S’mores Brownies with Graham Cracker Crust
- Prep for baking - Preheat oven to 350 °F and lightly grease an 8” square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Melt butter- Over medium heat, melt your butter. Once the butter is liquid, add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla to the melted butter. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients - Once combined, add the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder to your butter mixture.
- Partially bake - Gently pour your brownie mixture into your greased pan and spread evenly. Bake for 20-22 minutes at 350°F or until almost done.
- Add marshmallows and finish baking - Pull your partially baked brownies out of the oven and quickly top with your miniature marshmallows. Place the pan back into the oven and finish baking—this should take about 3-5 minutes.
- Top, serve, and enjoy - Once out of the oven, top your brownies with some graham cracker crumbs and allow them to cool. Cut, serve, and enjoy warm or at room temperature!
S’Mores Brownies Recipe Substitutions
Butter: Butter is essential to this recipe. Be sure to melt your butter before mixing it with the rest of your ingredients, otherwise your batter will be too thick.
Sugar: We don't recommend substituting white sugar unless you have to, but White sugar can be used interchangeably with brown sugar. You can add 1 teaspoon of molasses to white sugar to make brown sugar. Check out this post on Sugar Substitutes for Baking for other ideas.
Eggs: We don't recommend substituting eggs, but you can read this article on how to substitute for eggs in brownies. Try it at your own risk!
Vanilla Extract: Helps to add flavor, we don't recommend substituting.
Cocoa powder: Unsweetened cocoa powder is the way to go in this recipe. Try using Dutch processed cocoa for an even deeper chocolate flavor.
All Purpose Flour: We don't recommend substituting the flour, but you can check out this article on Cake Flour vs. All-Purpose Flour or Substitutions for All-Purpose Flour
Salt: Adding just a dash of salt to your brownies actually helps to enhance the overall sweetness of your dessert.
Baking Powder: Baking powder is essential for this recipe. Do NOT substitute with baking soda.
Mini marshmallows: Mini marshmallows are the best to use in this recipe because they toast quickly and add a nice texture to your brownies; however, regular sized marshmallows or even marshmallow fluff can be used instead.
Graham Crackers: Coarsely crushed graham crackers add the perfect finishing touch to these s’mores brownies. If you’d like your brownies to have a little extra crunch, leave your graham crackers in bigger chunks before sprinkling them on.
Smores Brownies Recipe FAQ
Absolutely! If you’re short on time or are missing a few ingredients, you can still totally make this recipe with boxed brownie mix. Ghirardelli brownie mix is my personal favorite. Simply take the boxed brownie mix of your choice and make according to instructions. When they have 5 or so minutes left to bake, pull them out and add your marshmallows. Finish baking, top with your graham crackers, and serve.
No you don't need to toast marshmallows before adding to brownies. Because you add the miniature marshmallows before the brownies are finished baking, they should toast naturally in the heat of the oven. If for some reason your marshmallows aren’t as toasted as you’d like, you can place your brownies under the broiler for a minute or two. Just be sure to keep an eye on your marshmallows, otherwise they might burn!
S'Mores brownies have 212 calories per brownie.
The S in s'more stands for 'some more'. It's an abbreviated version of the phrase!
Yes, you can add marshmallows to brownie mix! It's best to add marshmallows at the end on top of the brownies when they're almost done baking. It's not recommended to add marshmallows into brownie mix because they will melt.
Smores is short for some more. The shortened phrase became the name for the classic treat of graham crackers chocolate and marshmallows.
Smores are a sandwich made with graham crackers, chocolate and a toasted marshmallow. Marshmallows are just plain sugary puffs!
Smore Brownies Recipe Tips & Variations
- Add more graham crackers: If you’d like your s’mores brownies to have even more classic s’mores flavor, try replacing ½ cup of flour in your brownie batter with ½ cup of crushed graham crackers. This shouldn’t affect the way your brownies bake too much but will really increase the cinnamony graham flavor in your brownies.
- Use boxed mix brownies: If you're short on time you can use box mixed brownies and simply top with marshmallows and graham crackers at the end.
- Add chocolate chips- mini chocolate chips or regular chocolate chips would be delicious in this recipe!
How to store Brownies with Graham Cracker Crust
Storing: You can store these s'mores brownies for up to 4 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
Can you freeze these brownies?
Freezing: You can freeze s'more brownies recipe for up to 3 months in an airtight container. It's best to thaw completely before enjoying. The graham crackers might get a little soggy in the freezer.
How to Serve Smores Brownie Recipe
These smores brownies are best served warm out of the oven so you can enjoy the melty marshmallows! You can also serve them with ice cream.
More Brownies Recipes You’ll Love
- M&M Brownies
- Strawberry Brownies
- Air Fryer Brownies
- Heart Shaped Brownies
- Brownie Recipe with Dark Chocolate
- Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Brownies
Smore Brownies Recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8” by 8” baking dish.
- In a saucepan on the stove or microwave, melt your butter.
- In a bowl mix together melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract until combined.
- To your butter mixture, add the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder and mix until a thick batter forms.
- Pour your brownie batter into your greased pan and bake at 350°F for 20-22 minutes or until mostly done.
- Quickly pull your brownies out of the oven, top with your marshmallows, and place back in the oven to finish baking. This should take 3-5 minutes.
- When finished, pull your brownies out of the oven and top with your crushed graham crackers.
- Allow your brownies to cool slightly before cutting, serving, and enjoying!
I made these the same day the recipe came out and they did not disappoint! Super easy recipe and my family went crazy over them. Definitely will be making them again 😃
Quick, easy and delicious! My new go-to recipe for brownies.