An Easy Chocolate Spritz Cookie Recipe that everyone will love! These Chocolate Spritz Cookies are perfect for the holidays. Buttery & yummy!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy about affiliate links.
These Chocolate Spritz Cookies are a family recipe packed with cocoa flavor and are made with only 6 ingredients giving you a festive cookie that will be a tasty and adorable addition to all your holiday baking trays!
Are you tired of struggling with spritz cookies that refuse to cooperate with your cookie press, leaving you with a mess instead of the beautifully shaped cookies you envisioned? I'm here to guide you through the most delicious recipe with foolproof tips and tricks.
What are Chocolate Spritz Cookies?
Chocolate spritz cookies are a variation of the classic spritz cookies, featuring a rich cocoa flavor. Similar to regular spritz cookies, chocolate spritz cookies are typically crafted from a butter or crisco-based dough and shaped using a cookie press, resulting in charming, intricately designed treats.
Chocolate Spritz Cookie Recipe Ingredients
To make these spritz cookies you'll need:
How to make Chocolate Spritz Cookies
- Beat sugar and butter until creamy. Mix in egg and vanilla extract until well combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour and cocoa until well combined. Wrap tightly in saran wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll into a log and press into the cookie press and tighten the press according to directions. Press the cookies onto an UNGREASED cookie sheet. You can add sprinkles if you’d like.
- Bake at 375° for 7 to 9 minutes until slightly crisp on the bottom. Let cookies cool completely before removing from cookie sheet.
How to store Chocolate Spritz Cookies
Storing: You can store this spritz cookie recipe for up to 5 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
Freezing: You can freeze chocolate spritz cookies for up to 3 months in an airtight container. Thaw completely before enjoying.
Freezing Cookie Dough: We don't recommend freezing this cookie dough.
Tips for making this recipe for Chocolate Spritz Cookies
- Make sure to chill the dough for 30 minutes - Chilling the dough will ensure that the cookies come out of the cookie press.
- Do NOT use a greased cookie sheet or parchment paper- It will be very difficult to get the cookies to come out of the cookie press. These cookies have enough butter/fat in them that they will not stick to the cookie sheet when baked - don't worry!
Chocolate Spritz Cookies Recipe FAQs
A good cookie press and chilling your dough are the best tricks for making spritz cookies! 30 minutes in the refrigerator is the perfect amount of time for spritz cookies!
If your Spritz Cookies are sticking, ensure the dough is at the right consistency and has been chilled for the proper amount of time — too soft or too firm can impact how it comes out of the press.
To achieve perfect spritz cookies, make sure your dough is properly chilled and you're pressing onto an ungreased sheet, avoiding parchment paper for optimal adherence.
Other cookie recipes:
- Andes Mint Chocolate Cookies
- Pecan Snowball Cookies
- Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- Hot Cocoa Cookies
- Italian Chocolate Cookies
Chocolate Spritz Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl combine sugar and butter. Beat at a medium speed until creamy, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour and cocoa. Mix until well combined.
- Wrap the dough tightly in saran wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Once dough has chilled, roll into a log. Press into the cookie press and tighten the press according to directions.
- You can add sprinkles if you’d like. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes until slightly crisp on the bottom.
- Let cookies cool completely before removing from cookie sheet.