Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are chewy, delicious and every chocolate lover’s dream! Truly the Best Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy about affiliate links.
Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
It might be an understatement to say that I love chocolate. I'll take it in any form, Dark Chocolate Brownies, Chocolate Bundt Cake, Dark Chocolate Brown Sugar Cookies -as far as I'm concerned, there can never be enough chocolate in this world.
And if you’re just like me, I’m sure you’ll love these Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies. They're soft and chewy while being absolutely with chocolate!
Why We Love Double Chocolate Cookies
- Delicious: Some of the best recipes are simple and still have a ton of flavor. Even though this recipe is made with only a few ingredients it’s loaded with flavor.
- Loaded with chocolate: If you're a chocolate fan, this is the recipe for you! You would also love our Brownie Cookies!
- Easy to make
Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients
To make chewy double chocolate chip cookies you'll need:
- unsalted butter
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- cocoa powder
- vanilla extract
- instant coffee
- white sugar
- brown sugar
- white flour
- baking soda
How To Make This Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Making soft and chewy chocolate cookies is easy! Here's how to do it:
- Melt half of the chocolate - Melt butter in a saucepan. Once butter is melted, add half of your chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate is melted.
- Create chocolate mixture - Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the milk, vanilla, instant coffee, and cocoa powder.
- Combine sugar and eggs - In a large bowl, beat together sugar and eggs until combined (about 1-2 minutes).
- Add chocolate mixture - Stir in the chocolate mixture and beat until combined (about 1-2 minutes).
- Combine the dry ingredients - In a medium-sized bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add half of this to your chocolate mixture and beat until combined, then add the second half of your flour mixture.
- Add chocolate chips - Stir in the second half of your chocolate chips.
- Bake - On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, scoop out 2 tablespoons of dough. Bake for 7-8 minutes.
Substitutions for Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe:
Butter: Butter is essential to this recipe. We haven't tried it with dairy free butter but it might work!
Chocolate Chips: I haven't tried this recipe with other types of chocolate but I think it would be fine. I wouldn't recommend milk chocolate because I think it will be too sweet!
Milk: You can substitute milk with half and half, low fat milk or non dairy milk.
Vanilla Extract: Helps to add flavor, we don't recommend substituting.
Instant Coffee:If you don’t drink coffee or don’t have any on hand, this recipe tastes great without it. However, the coffee brings out a richer flavor in the chocolate.
Eggs: We don't recommend substituting eggs, but you can read this article on Egg Substitutions for Baking if you need to substitute. Try it at your own risk!
Sugar: We don't recommend substituting white sugar unless you have to, but White sugar can be used interchangeably with brown sugar. You can add 1 teaspoon of molasses to white sugar to make brown sugar. Check out this post on Sugar Substitutes for Baking for other ideas.
All Purpose Flour: We don't recommend substituting the flour, but you can check out this article on Cake Flour vs. All-Purpose Flour or Substitutions for All-Purpose Flour In Baking. Don't substitute white flour for white flour, it will give the cookies a gritty texture.
Salt: Skip the salt if using salted butter.
How To Store This Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
These chocolate chip cookies store very well.
Storing: You can store these chewy double chocolate chip cookies for up to 4 days in an airtight container at room temperature or a week in the refrigerator
Freezing: You can freeze best double chocolate chip cookies for up to 3 months in an airtight container. Thaw completely before enjoying.
Storing Cookie Dough: This dough will keep in the fridge for 7-10 days if put in an airtight container.
However, you can also store pre-portioned scoops of dough in the freezer and back them individually in the oven at 350 for 10-15 minutes if you are looking for a decadent treat!
Freezing Cookie Dough: You can freeze this cookie dough. Scoop into balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet or use these cookie dough freezing trays. Check out this post for How to Freeze Cookie Dough for tips on saving cookie dough for later.
Reheating – If reheating from the freezer, let them come to room temperature on their own. Wrap them in a lightly moistened paper towel and then heat in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.
Tips To Make The Best Double Chocolate Chip Cookies Chewy
Leave space for the cookies to spread - These cookies have a tendency to spread a little bit in the oven. Leave a few inches of space between cookies to avoid them merging in the oven.
Skip the coffee: If you don't like coffee, skip it! It's not necessary for the cookies.
Double Chocolate Cookies FAQ
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are done when they are crispy on the outside and slightly soft within the center. The cookies should take shape and not be mushy after about 2 minutes of cooling on the sheet out of the oven
If you want your cookies to spread out more, make sure to not chill your dough. Using melted butter will also help your cookies to not spread out. Additionally, you can lightly tap the cookies on the baking sheet on the oven rack. By hitting the pan on the oven rack it will deflate the cookies a bit, letting them spread out.
You can use semi-sweet chocolate for chocolate chip cookies.
Other Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Delicious Hot Cocoa Cookies
- Lemon Cool Whip Cookies
- Monster Cookies
- Jam Thumbprint Cookies
- Easy Snickerdoodles
Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Once butter is completely melted, add half of your chocolate chips and stir constantly until the chocolate is melted.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and eggs until combined (about 1-2 minutes).
- Stir in the chocolate mixture and beat until combined (about 1-2 minutes).
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add half of this to your chocolate mixture and beat until combined, then add the second half of your flour mixture.
- Stir in the second half of your chocolate chips.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, scoop out 2 tablespoons of dough, allowing room for the dough to spread.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool before moving them to a cooling rack.