The Ultimate Butterscotch Haystacks Recipe! A classic cookie that is so easy to make with crunchy chow mein noodles and butterscotch chips.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy about affiliate links.
If you're looking for an easy cookie that's done in NO time - try these Classic Butterscotch Haystacks!
We've perfected the ratio in these classic cookies between crunchy noodles, gooey marshmallows, sweet butterscotch and salty peanut butter.
These Old Fashioned Haystacks will leave everyone wanting more
Butterscotch haystack cookies are one of the easiest cookies you can make. You only need 4 ingredients!
What are haystacks?
Haystacks are sweet and salty candy (some people consider them a cookie) that are made of peanut butter, butterscotch chips, chow mein noodles, and mini marshmallows.
Why you'll love this Recipe for Butterscotch Haystacks
There's so much to love about Haystacks Cookies! Here are some reasons why we love them:
- Easy to make: You only need 4 ingredients and under an hour (only 10 minutes of active time) to make these delicious cookies!
- Nostalgic: These are classic holiday cookies that so many families love and enjoy!
Ingredients for Butterscotch Haystack Cookies
To make these haystack cookies you'll need:
You'll also need parchment or wax paper
How to make Butterscotch Haystacks
Here's how to make the best butterscotch haystacks:
- Prep - Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Melt the chips - In a large nonstick pot, melt butterscotch chips and peanut butter together.
- Combine - Mix in noodles and marshmallows until coated in peanut butter mixture
- Cool - Drop the haystacks in 1 tablespoon piles. Refrigerate for 30 minutes until chilled and firm before removing from the baking sheet.
How long do they need to set? Butterscotch Haystacks need about 30 minutes to set in the fridge. They may need longer depending on the humidity in your area/home.
How do you melt butterscotch chips for haystacks?
- On the stove - Melt the chips in a saucepan on the stove over low, stirring to ensure they don't burn
- In the microwave - Melt at 15 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Double boiler method - Use a metal bowl over the top of a pot of boiling water. Be sure the water isn’t touching the bottom of the bowl. Stir the chips until they’re fully melted.
Butterscotch Haystack Recipe Variations
Use other baking chip flavors: You don’t have to stick with butterscotch if that’s not your flavor. It’s the classic flavor for haystacks, however, you can also try semi sweet chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and even white chocolate.
Make the haystack cookies different colors: Use white chocolate chips and candy coating coloring to change the color of the chocolate. This way, you can make your haystacks any color you choose for your holiday or special occasion. Do not use water-based food coloring to color your chocolate. This will cause it to seize.
Make your chow mein noodles: Boil lo mein noodles until al dente. Drain and let dry before heating some grease and frying the noodles until golden brown.
How to serve Butterscotch Haystacks
There are so many ways you can serve butterscotch haystacks. You can present them simply on a plate like in these photos or try:
- Wrapped in cellophane bags for an edible holiday gift
- Displayed in cupcake liners for an easy to grab treat at a party
- In a holiday tin lined with parchment paper or colorful tissue paper for a DIY treat
Storing Old Fashioned Haystacks
Can you make Butterscotch Haystacks ahead of time? Yes, you can make haystacks ahead of time! They last for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze butterscotch haystacks? : Store in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Reheating: Do not reheat as this will cause the butterscotch coating to melt. This will make the cookies gooey and a mess to handle. Instead, pull them from the fridge or freezer and let them sit until room temperature.
How long do they keep? Butterscotch haystacks keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Does this Butterscotch Haystacks Recipe need refrigerated?
No, haystacks don't need to be refrigerated. You can simply keep them in a sealed container in the pantry. As long as it’s cool and dry, you’ll have no issues. However, if desired, you can keep them in the fridge or even the freezer for longer as long as they’re in a sealed container.
Butterscotch Haystacks Recipe Tips
- If your haystacks aren't setting: You can place you haystacks in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes if they aren't setting.
- Try other flavors! You can use other types of chocolate (dark, semi sweet, peanut butter, etc) instead of butterscotch chips
Butterscotch Haystacks FAQs
Haystacks are made of chow mein noodles, coated in melted baking chips. A classic haystack is usually butterscotch flavored. However, you’ll commonly find them in various chocolate flavors now as well.
To melt the butterscotch chips for haystacks, you can cook on the stove on low, microwave in 15 second increments, or use the double boiler method (place a metal bowl over the top of a pot of boiling water). Stir the chips until they’re fully melted with no lumps.
We don't recommend using ramen noodles for haystacks. They're too thin and don't have the same consistency.
Haystacks cookies and candies are the same things
Yes, haystack cookies are commonly referred to as chow mein noodle cookies. They are the same things.
They are not the same. Although the flavors are similar, caramel is made with white sugar, while butterscotch are made with brown sugar.
More No-Bake Dessert Recipes
- Best Ever No Bake Cheesecake
- No Bake Oatmeal Cookies
- Easy Peanut Butter Pie (No Bake Recipe)
- No Bake Oreo Cheesecake
More from Tasty Treats and Eats
Recipe for Butterscotch Haystacks
- Prepare a wax paper lined baking sheet.
- In a large nonstick pot, melt morsels and peanut butter together.
- Mix in noodles and marshmallows until coated in peanut butter mixture
- Drop the haystacks in 1 tablespoon piles.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes until chilled and firm before removing from the baking sheet.