The best classic Butterscotch Haystacks Recipe! A delicious cookie made with crunchy chow mein noodles and butterscotch chips.
Old Fashioned Haystacks are classic!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy about affiliate links.
There's nothing better than classic holiday cookies and candies. Haystacks, of course, are always on the list of must bake holiday cookies! However Snowball Cookies, Nutella Cookies and Fudge are right up there with them!
Butterscotch haystack cookies are one of the easiest cookies you can make. You only need 2 ingredients: butterscotch chips and chow mein noodles!
These delicious butterscotch cookies are a must try this holiday season!
This is the best Traditional Haystack Recipe!
There's so much to love about Haystacks Cookies! Here are some reasons why we love them:
- Easy to make: You only need 2 ingredients and about 10 minutes to make these delicious cookies! Some recipes call for marshmallows or peanut butter but you don't need it!
- Nostalgic: These are a classic holiday cookie that so many famili
Butterscotch Haystacks Recipe ingredients
To make these haystack cookies you'll need:
- butterscotch morsels
- chow mein noodles - I like the La Choy brand
You'll also need parchment or wax paper
How to make Haystacks
Here's how to make the best butterscotch haystacks:
- Prep - Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the chips - Add the butterscotch chips to a medium bowl. Melt the butterscotch chips in the microwave at 15 second intervals or using the double boil method.
- Combine - Add the chow mein noodles to the melted chips and stir to coat well. Make 18 even piles on the prepared baking sheet.
- Cool - Let the butterscotch haystack cookies sit to harden for around 30 minutes.
How do you melt butterscotch morsels? You can melt butterscotch morsels at 15 second intervals in the microwave, making sure to stir them in between or you can use a double boiler method.
How long do they need to set? Butterscotch Haystacks need about 30 minutes to set. They may need longer depending on the humidity in your area/home.
How do you melt butterscotch chips for haystacks?
For the smoothest chocolate, use the double boiler method - If you don’t want to melt your baking chips in the microwave, you can use a metal bowl over the top of a pot of boiling water. Be sure the water isn’t touching the bottom of the bowl. Stir the chips until they’re fully melted with no lumps.
Variations on this recipe for Butterscotch Haystacks
Use other baking chip flavors: You don’t have to stick with butterscotch if that’s not your flavor. It’s the classic flavor haystacks come in, however, they’re now commonly found in semi sweet chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and even white chocolate. There are a ton of baking chip flavors to choose from.
Make the haystack cookies different colors: Use white chocolate chips and candy coating coloring to change the color of the chocolate. This way, you can make your haystacks any color you choose for your occasion. Do not use water-based food coloring to color your chocolate. This will cause it to seize.
Make your own chow mein noodles: Boil lo mein noodles until al dente. Drain and let dry before heating some grease and frying the noodles until golden brown.
Butterscotch Haystack Cookies storage
Can you make Butterscotch Haystacks ahead of time? Yes you can make haystacks ahead of time! They last for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Do haystacks need to be refrigerated? Store in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Can you freeze butterscotch haystacks? : Store in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Reheating: Do not reheat forcibly as this will cause the butterscotch coating to melt. This will make the cookies gooey and a mess to handle. Instead, pull them from the fridge or freezer and let them sit until warmed up enough to enjoy.
How long do they keep? Butterscotch haystacks keep for 2 weeks in the refridgerator.
Do Haystacks Need to Be Refrigerated?
No, haystacks don't need to be refrigerated. You can simply keep them in a sealed container in the pantry. As long as it’s cool and dry, you’ll have no issues. However, if desired, you can definitely keep them in the fridge or even the freezer as long as they’re in a sealed container.
Butterscotch Haystacks FAQs
Haystacks are made of chow mein noodles, coated in melted baking chips. A classic haystack is usually butterscotch flavored. However, you’ll commonly find them in various chocolate flavors now as well. Chow mein noodles are simply lo mein noodles that have been fried to a golden brown crisp. This means you could make your own if you desired to. You’ll simply need to boil the noodles, let them dry, then deep fry them.
To melt the butterscotch chips for haystacks, you can microwave in 15 second increments or use the double boiler method. Place a metal bowl over the top of a pot of boiling water. Be sure the water isn’t touching the bottom of the bowl. Stir the chips until they’re fully melted with no lumps.
We don't recommend using ramen noodles for haystacks. They're too thin and don't have the same consistency.
Haystacks cookie and candies are the same things
Yes, haystack cookies are commonly referred to as chow mein noodle cookies. They are the same things.
More No-Bake Dessert Recipes
Old Fashioned Haystacks
- 11 ounces butterscotch baking chips
- 8 ounces chow mein noodles
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the butterscotch chips to a medium, microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between, until smooth.
- Immediately add the chow mein noodles to the bowl and gently mix until they’re coated evenly with the butterscotch.
- Using a large spoon or your hands (sometimes it’s easier this way, although messy) separate the mixture into 18 even piles on the prepared baking sheet.
- Let dry for 30 minutes or until hardened. Enjoy!
I add a cup of salted peanuts to the haystacks I make????????????????Deeeeeelicious????