This Homemade Blueberry Pie Filling Recipe is so easy to make! Learn how to make fresh blueberry pie filling in no time. Easy & delicious!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy about affiliate links.
No matter what time of year it is, it’s always the perfect time for Homemade Blueberry Pie Filling.
In this recipe, cinnamon and sugar combine with the delightful juices of slowly simmered blueberries. It’s the perfect combination to create the perfect pie.
Blueberry Pie filling is incredibly easy to make, and it's the perfect filling for this Homemade Pie Crust. You can also serve it up over ice cream or switch up Mini Cherry Pies and have personal sized blueberry pies instead!
There are tons of ways to utilize this filling.
Ingredients for Homemade Blueberry Pie Filling
To make blueberry pie filling you'll need:
How to Make Blueberry Pie Filling
Making blueberry pie filling is so easy!
- Combine Ingredients: In a large nonstick sauté pan, stir together blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt.
- Simmer: Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the blueberries start to burst.
- Enjoy: Allow to cool and store or use right away.
What is the best way to cook the blueberries? The best way to cook the blueberries is in a nonstick sauté pan. Cook them over low heat for about 20 minutes
How long do you cook the filling? You can cook blueberry pie filling for 20-25 minutes on low heat.
How to Thicken Blueberry Pie Filling
Blueberry Pie Filling can thicken on it's own naturally, but a tablespoon of cornstarch will help.
You can also use flour or xanthan gum.
Blueberry Pie Filling Recipe Tips
- Use other fruit: Use this recipe with peaches, apples, raspberries, cherries - the possibilities are endless.
- Add citrus zest: lemon or orange zest adds a ton of flavor to this pie filling
- Store in a mason jar: I got some of the best storage results when I kept the pie filling in a mason jar.
- Use on other foods - I adore using this pie filling on top of things like ice cream, pastries, bagels, toasts, oatmeal, etc. There are too many options to list them all.
Ways to Use Blueberry Filling
This blueberry pie filling is so versatile! Here's how you can use it:
- In a pie
- On top of ice cream
- In pastries
- On top of toast/bread
- Stirred into oatmeal
- blueberry pie bars
How to Store Fresh Blueberry Filling
How long does it keep in the fridge? Store in a sealed container or jar, in the fridge, for up to 1 week.
Can you freeze blueberry pie filling: Store in an airtight container, in the freezer, for up to 2 months.
Reheating: Reheat using the microwave. You can also allow it to sit out on the counter until thawed enough to add to a pie or dessert and allow the baking process to finish heating it up.
Can you make blueberry filling ahead of time? Yes you can totally make blueberry pie filling ahead of time! It will last in the refrigerator for about a week.
Can you can blueberry pie filling? This is not a canning recipe. I'd look up a specific recipe for canned blueberry pie filling if you want to preserve it for later as canning is very specific.
How Do You Keep a Blueberry Pie from Being Runny
Having a runny blueberry pie is just terrible! There are a few ways you can avoid this issue.
Don't add extra liquid: You should need little to no liquid with fresh or frozen berries because of the amount of juices they will release during the cooking process.
Never skip a thickening agent such as cornstarch or xanthan gum. Flour is also a good choice.
Let your pie cool before slicing: This will allow it to thicken up a bit for the perfect slice of pie.
More Pie Recipes You’ll Love
- Custard Pie
- Mini Cherry Pies
- Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Personal Sized Peach Cobbler
- Homemade Pie Crust
- Fresh Peach Pie Filling
- Easy Blackberry Cobbler
Fresh Blueberry Pie Filling
- In a large nonstick sauté pan, stir together blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the blueberries start to burst.
- Allow to cool and store or use right away.