The best Banana Cookies Recipe! These soft banana drop cookies are easy to make, chewy and totally delicious!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy about affiliate links.
These Banana Bread Cookies are simply the best. Crispy edges, chewy centers, they're basically banana bread.. in a cookie form!
You'll love how simple these banana bread cookies are to make!
This recipe is two of my favorite things combined into one, banana bread and cookies!
Why we love this recipe for Banana Cookies
- So tasty: Even though this recipe is made with only a few ingredients it’s loaded with delicious intense banana flavor.
- Easy to make: Don't toss those overly ripe bananas, this easy banana bread cookie recipe is perfect for using them up with a few other pantry staples
- A fun twist on banana bread: If you love banana bread then these banana drop cookies are going to be a real treat! You would also love our Banana Bundt Cake!
Banana Cookies Recipe Ingredients
To make banana bread cookies you'll need:
- all purpose flour
- white sugar
- salted butter
- Overly ripe mashed bananas
- vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
- baking soda
- baking powder
How to Make Banana Drop Cookies
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Once combined add eggs, mashed bananas and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add in the cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and flour. Mix well again.
- Spoon onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet, about 2 tablespoons per cookie.
- Bake for 12 minutes or golden brown.
Storing Banana Cookies
Storing: These cookies are best stored in an airtight container after being cooled, in a cool, dry spot. These can also be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
Freezing: Store in a freezer-safe container for up to a month. When freezing, separate cookies with wax paper to avoid sticking.
Reheating: If reheating cookies from the fridge, simply place them in the microwave for a few seconds. If reheating the Banana Bread Cookies from the freezer, let the cookies thaw on their own and then heat them in the microwave for a few seconds.
Freezing Cookie Dough: This cookie dough doesn't freeze well. We wouldn't recommend freezing it.
Substitutions for this Recipe:
Salted Butter: Butter is essential to this recipe. We haven't tried it with dairy-free butter but it might work!
Ripe Bananas: Ripe bananas will deliver the sweetest and best flavor. Avoid using green or under-rippened bananas. For another delicious banana recipe, try our Bananas Foster.
Eggs: We don't recommend substituting eggs, but you can read this article on Egg Substitutions for Baking if you need to substitute. Try it at your own risk!
Vanilla Extract: Helps to add flavor, we don't recommend substituting.
Baking Soda: This is essential for this recipe. Do not substitute with baking powder.
Baking Powder: Baking powder is essential for this recipe. Do NOT substitute with baking soda.
Banana Cookie Tips and Variations
- Add chopped walnuts: Walnuts are a staple in banana bread. If you prefer walnuts, add half a cup of chopped walnuts after you’ve mixed in the flour. Pecans are also a nice choice.
- Add Chocolate Chips: Chocolate chips would be a delicious addition.
- Icing: Make a cinnamon icing to drizzle or dip these cookies into for some extra sweetness.
- Cookie Scoop: Use a cookie scoop to create evenly measured out drop cookies. This will help to avoid any over-baking or under-baking of mismeasured cookies.
Banana Cookie Recipe FAQ
Cookies made with bananas do not need to be refrigerated. They will last longer if stored in the refrigerator, however.
Drop cookies are simply cookies you can whip up in just a few minutes then scoop and drop them out onto a pan before baking. There isn't any need to roll out the cookie dough. Most no-bake cookies are also considered drop cookies.
1 cup of mashed bananas is roughly 2 medium-sized bananas.
More Cookie Recipes You’ll Love:
- Lemon Cool Whip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Delicious Hot Cocoa Cookies
- Black and White Cookies
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Andes Mint Chocolate Cookies
- Easy Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
Banana Cookie Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar for one minute until light and fluffy.
- Once combined add eggs, mashed bananas and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add in the cinnamon, baking soda, baking soda and flour. Mix well again.
- Spoon onto the lined baking sheet, about 2 tablespoons per cookie.
- Bake for 12 minutes or golden brown.
- Reheating - If reheating cookies from the fridge, simply place in the microwave for a few seconds. If reheating the Banana Bread Cookies from the freezer, let the cookies thaw on their own and then heat in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Make it vegan - If you would like to make this recipe vegan-friendly, simply swap the eggs for a half cup unsweetened applesauce and use vegan butter. Don’t change the amount of the butter.