This yummy dark chocolate lemon tart has the perfect combination of heavenly flavors. With just a hint of lemon and lots of rich chocolate flavors, this easy to make gluten free tart recipe is a fan favorite!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy about affiliate links.
Tarts are one of my favorite holiday desserts! This amazing chocolate tart packs just the right amount of flavor. Made with dark cocoa powder, and sweetened with maple syrup this yummy dessert has a healthy twist.
Our recipe uses no refined sugars, and this is a gluten-free and vegan tart recipe.
This tart is easy to make but make sure you are prepared for extra time for refrigeration!
Chocolate Tart Substitutions List
This chocolate tart recipe is made with a variety of healthy ingredients. We use natural sweeteners to enhance flavor and richness.
You can use the following substitutions if you wish:
- Cocoa butter can be swapped for coconut oil
- Maple syrup can be swapped for agave nectar
- You can use lemon-flavored dark chocolate instead of adding essential oils to your recipe
This chocolate tart should be served cold and requires at least 1-2 hours of refrigeration prior to serving.
We used lemon essential oil for the lemon flavoring in this recipe. Just 2 drops are enough to give this recipe a nice lemon-infused taste. You can learn more about cooking with essential oils here. You can also use dark chocolate with lemon flavor as a substitution for this recipe.
If you are going to consume it the same or the next day, keep in the fridge. otherwise, it can stay up to a few weeks in the freezer. Just get it out a 1-2 hours before consumption, so it can chill and unfreeze.
Dark Chocolate Lemon Tart
- ½ cup dark chocolate
- In a food process, pulse hazelnuts until they're a fine powder like consistency.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the hazelnuts with the cocoa powder and a pinch of salt.
- Add the maple syrup and melted cocoa butter. Mix well until it forms a dough.
- Put the mixture in a 9inch tart pan and press with your fingers until it forms a crust.
- Put the tart pan in the freezer.
- Boil water and turn down the heat afterward so that your water is simmering.
- Melt dark chocolate in another pot or heatproof container over the simmering water. Stir occasionally.
- Open canned coconut milk and pour it in a separate bowl - use both the solid and the liquid part. Whisk well.
- Mix in the melted chocolate and the lemon essential oil. Be careful to only use two drops of lemon oil!
- Whisk until a smooth mixture.
- Remove the crust from the freezer. Pour the chocolate coconut mixture on top of the crust and leave in the freezer or the fridge (it will just take more time) until it is no longer liquid.
- After a few hours, melt the dark chocolate for the decoration and pour on top with a spoon. You can play with the forms. Sprinkle with Himalayan salt and put in the freezer again.
- 1-2 hours prior to consumption, move to the fridge for the best enjoyment!