Change up that traditional shortcake recipe and whip up this Glazed Donut Strawberry Shortcake recipe! A soft and delicious donut topped with a homemade strawberry sauce. Topped with whipped cream, this dessert is a great choice for summer and beyond!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy about affiliate links.
I grew up with strawberry shortcake as a special occasion dessert that we often had at grandma’s house. It’s super easy to make, even if you’re going the full homemade route. For some reason, we didn’t eat it much outside of those nice occasions, but I’m now wishing we had! I forgot how much I loved it and other summer desserts like Lemon Cool Whip Cookies and Lemon Bundt Cake.
Summer just doesn’t feel like summer if strawberry shortcake isn’t in there somewhere. I have a confession, though...I’m kind of overly obsessed with donuts. They’re my favorite thing in the world and you’ll never convince me otherwise. So, I had this brilliant idea to mix two of my favorite things in the dessert world and make this Glazed Donut Strawberry Shortcake recipe!
How to Make Glazed Donut Strawberry Shortcake
Prep the strawberries - Wash and destem the strawberries. Quarter the strawberries and place them in a small pot.
Make the strawberry sauce - Add the sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla to the pot. Stir well and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Pair it all together - Remove the strawberry sauce from the heat and let it cool and thicken. In the meantime, add a glazed donut to a small plate and heat in the microwave for 5 seconds.. Pour the strawberry sauce over the top.
Serve - Top the dessert with a large dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Storage - Store the donuts in a sealed container either in the fridge or a cool, dry place. Store the strawberry sauce, alone, in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. It will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months and the fridge, for up to 5 days. Store the whipped cream in the fridge or freezer with the same guidelines.
- Can I make this ahead of time? - Make the strawberry sauce ahead of time and store in the freezer. Simply set it out to thaw a couple hours before use and let it come to room temperature on its own before use.
- Make your own glazed donuts - I don’t have my own recipe for glazed donuts, but try making your own at home if you want to go fully homemade!
- Make your own whipped cream - Use this super easy Homemade Whipped Cream recipe to top your shortcake with!
- Make it keto - Switch out the donut for your favorite keto cake recipe, make your own whipped cream from the recipe listed above, and swap out the sugar for a keto-friendly sweetener.
- Try other fruit - Not a fan of strawberries, but really want to try the recipe? Swap out the strawberries for the same amount of another berry such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, or even cherries!
Common Questions About Glazed Donut Strawberry Shortcake
Why is it Called Shortcake?
Back in the day, the word “short” in the cooking world meant that something was crisped using fat. So, a shortcake was a cake that was lightly crisp on the outside. This meant it could be a plethora of cakes used in the recipe, although most people these days use white cake of some sort. For this recipe, we chose our own lightly crispy cake-like food - a donut!
How Long is Strawberry Shortcake Good For?
It all depends on how you store it. If you’re storing the cake, or donuts in this case, in the freezer, they’ll be good for up to 2-3 months. The same goes for the strawberry sauce and the whipped cream. If stored in the fridge, you’re looking at about 5 days before it’s no longer good anymore.
Give this Glazed Donut Strawberry Shortcake recipe a try, then let me know in the comments below if you liked it or any changes you tried!
More Dessert Recipes You’ll Love:
- Mini Cherry Pies
- Cinnamon Vegan Cheesecake
- Vegan Key Lime Pie
- The Best Yogurt Cupcakes
- The Best Vegan Apple Crisp
Strawberry Shortcake Donuts
- Remove the stems from your strawberries.
- Slice your strawberries long ways then cut them in chunks width wise.
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine the sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add in the chopped strawberries and stir well.
- Allow to simmer over medium/high heat for about 10 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let thicken.
- Place a donut on a plate and once the strawberry sauce is cooled, pour a sixth of the sauce over the top of the donut.
- Top with a large dollop of whipped cream and serve immediately.